4.03.2011

{Recipe} Seriously Delicious Cinnamon Rolls

As a family, we make cinnamon rolls biannually in October and April while our church's general conference is on T.V. It has become a much anticipated family tradition throughout the years, and a yummy one at that.

I'm a little hesitant to share this recipe because, quite frankly, I'm selfish with my yummy food! It's seriously the best cinnamon roll recipe I've ever tasted. Do I dare say it rivals Cinnabon? I do, and so does my hubby! To say my hubby loves Cinnabon is an understatement. Every time we fly somewhere he HAS to hunt down the nearest airport Cinnabon to get his fix. Lucky for him, he can also get his fix twice a year right in the comfort of our home.
BEST CINNAMON ROLLS RECIPE
Ingredients

Dough
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water
  • 1 package instant yeast
  • 2/3 cup Sugar (plus 1 tablespoon)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup Shortening
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 small package of Idahoan Original instant mashed potatoes
  • 7-7 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
Sugary-Cinnamon Innards
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
Cream Cheese Frosting--beat together the following ingredients
  • 1 (8 ounce) package of cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 cups confectioners sugar
  • 2-4 tablespoons of milk (depending on your like for thin or thick frosting)
Equipment
  • Stand mixer
  • 2-3 small/medium cake pans
Directions

Dough
  • In tbe mixer bowl add the package of yeast and a tablespoon of sugar to 1 1/2 cups of warm water. Let the yeast rise and bubble
  • Add the rest of the sugar, salt, shortening, eggs and mix at medium speed until mixed well. The shortening will be in larger chunks, but no worries-- it will blend in, I promise.
  • Prepare the mashed potatoes according to the package directions.
  • Measure out 1 cup of the prepared potatoes, add them to the mixer, and mix at medium speed until incorporated. I know this step sounds bizarre, but I promise it adds the perfect level of fluffiness to the rolls.
  • With the mixer at low speed, add the flour one cup at a time until the dough forms a ball.
  • Remove the dough and knead it on a floured surface until it forms a ball.
  • Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise until it doubles in size.
  • While the dough is rising, prepare the cinnamon-sugar mixture and frosting.
  • After the dough has risen, I usually cut the dough in half because it's easier to work with when it's this size. Roll the dough out into a rectangle shape and spread generously with the melted butter. Then dump (yep-- I said "dump", not "sprinkle") the cinnamon mixture onto your dough.
  • Roll up the sugar covered dough longwise as tight as you can. Cut the rolled dough into 1.5-2 inch thick discs and place in a greased pan. Set aside and let the rolls rise until almost double in size. The pan should be small enough so that the rolls touch each other and the pan's sides after they rise again.
  • Depending on your location in the country your cooking time will vary. Just check back often to makes sure your rolls are not browning too much. If the insides aren't cooked yet, but the tops are starting to brown cover it with tin foil. I baked mine at 400 degrees for 14 minutes, but I suggest checking in around 10-12 minutes. Because the rolls are crammed close together that also causes them to take longer in baking.
  • Let the cooked rolls cool a bit before slathering them with the frosting, but not too much, they taste so much better warm!
Cinnamon-Sugar Mixture
  • Mix both kinds of sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
Cream Cheese Frosting
  • In a mixer, mix all ingredients together at medium speed until smooth.
There's something heavenly about fluffy clouds of sugary goodness drizzled in a rich creamy cheese frosting. Just typing this makes my mouth water. Who says I have to wait until October to make these again?

If you have a favorite family desert recipe or tradition let me know!

2 comments:

  1. I would seriously love to make these but I don't even own one of those fancy stand mixers! Can you believe that? I've been married for almost 8 years and never needed one. Yes...I am pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeri-- that is a crime! I'm in the market for a new/bigger mixer so once, and if, I do get a new one you can have my old one. ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...